The following are easy recipes for making Alfredo Sauce without cream.
Basic Alfredo Sauce
1 1/2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
3 cups milk or half & half (I usually use combination of both)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1-2 cloves garlic (mashed) (I use garlic powder)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Tip: If you don't have fresh garlic, 1/8 teaspoon of garlic powder can be substituted for 1 clove garlic. So, use between 1/8 and 1/4 teaspoons of garlic powder.
Tip: I often use skim milk to make a low fat version of the sauce. However the more fat in the milk, the creamier the sauce will be. Restaurants usually use whole milk, half & half, or a combination of
Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir the flour into the butter. Add a little milk and stir until the mixture is very smooth; Continue this process until you have added all of the milk and the mixture is smooth.
Tip: When cooking milk, always stir it. It burns very easily. Also, the heavier your pan the easier it will be to not burn your milk. Always cook on medium heat, not high.
Add Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, on medium heat until desired thickness is reached (remember that it will thicken a little more after you take it off
Use one or more of the following tips to make this your own recipe of Alfredo sauce.
• Spice it up. Add more or less salt or pepper. Add other spices such as Italian seasoning, thyme, oregano, parsley, Basil, etc. These spices are also great for adding color.
• Add a little something. Serve it over noodles (such as fettuccine) and add steamed broccoli, shrimp, or grilled chicken.
• Of course, top it with Parmesan cheese, but also add other white cheeses, such as Swiss.
• Use the sauce to make an Alfredo pizza.
• Use the sauce as a bread stick dip (like Olive Garden does).
These are just a few ideas for you. Use your imagination and make this your own recipe. Your family will love it!
Quick & Easy Alfredo Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a medium, non-stick saucepan over medium heat. Add cream cheese and garlic powder, stirring with wire whisk until smooth. Add milk, a little at a time, whisking to smooth out lumps. Stir in Parmesan and pepper. Remove from heat when sauce reaches desired consistency. Sauce will thicken rapidly, thin with milk if cooked too long. Toss with hot pasta to serve.