Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Monday, October 28, 2013

Weekly Menu Plan

[image%255B3%255D.png] This week I am going off of our monthly plan for a few reasons:

1.  I want  to use up some items I have in the fridge and freezer.

2.  I want to do some bulk cooking – Items for the freezer.

3. We are finishing our American Girl unit on Felicity this week and we want to make some foods from her time period.

One of the things I love about having a monthly menu plan is that I can make changes as needed and still feel on top of the weekly meal process.

This week we will be having:

Monday – Beans and Rice (making large batch of beans to make Maxwell Burrito Beans for the Freezer)

Tuesday – Cream Tuna & Pea over Biscuits (old family favorite easy meal)

Wednesday – Quesadillas (using up fridge items)

Thursday- Dinner in a Pumpkin Casserole (as Scheduled)

Friday – American Girl Dinner

Saturday – Clam Chowder and American Girl Party

Sunday – Creamy Broccoli & Cauliflower Soup

I will post recipes and pictures from our American Girl meal and party next week.

 Crock Pot Pinto Beans

2 -4 cups of Pinto Beans (depending on how large batch you want to make)

       washed, rinsed and soaked beans overnight

add soaked beans to crock pot

1 onion chopped (I also will add minced garlic if I have it)

garlic power, garlic salt, cumin, chili powder (I just sprinkle a bunch of each of these to taste)

water to cover beans slightly over top of beans

cook beans on high until they are tender (3-4 hours)

I do not  measure for this recipe because I have made it so many times for many years. 

For the Maxwell Beans I do not make as large of a batch that their recipe calls for.  I will use my leftover beans and add the cooked onions and jalapenos into a blender and blend until smooth like refried beans, put into containers and freeze. Next time I make the Beans I am going to add the onions and jalapenos to the crock pot while we are cooking them and see how they turn out.  This would save me a step if they taste as good. These beans are great and are so easy to pull out a container for quick burritos.

 Cream Tuna and Pea Soup over Biscuits

5 cups of whole milk

2 cans of tuna drained

2 – 3 cans of peas (keep liquid of one of the cans – adds flavor)

3 tablespoons of butter

3 - 4 tablespoons of flour

4 packages of  Canned Biscuits

Bake biscuits according to directions on package.

Add milk, peas and rinsed and drained tuna into a sauce pan, heat until it is very hot but not boiling. 

Make rough out of the butter and flour ( melt butter and add flour to make a paste)

Add rough to the milk mixture and stir until the soup has thickened, if it does not make more rough to thicken it.

serve the creamy soup mixture over broken up biscuits in a bowl. Some of my kiddos will eat the soup and dip the biscuits in the soup.

linking up to MPM-Fall check it out for other meal planning ideas.

Hope you enjoy~

Pin It

No comments: