- 1 pumpkin (medium)
- 1 lb ground beef (may be sautéed with onions, celery and pepper)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsps. brown sugar
- 4 ozs mushrooms (fresh or canned, sliced and drained)
- 1 can of water chestnuts drained and chopped
- 1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups rice (hot cooked)
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Lightly grease a 10" circle in center of a baking sheet; set aside.
- Place pumpkin on a firm surface. Using a sharp knife, cut out stem end and about 3 inches around stem. Cut on a diagonal by slanting knife from outer edge of pumpkin in toward center. Reserve top. Remove seeds and pulp; discard.
- In a medium bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Spoon mixture into pumpkin. Replace top.
- Place pumpkin on greased baking sheet. Bake about 1 hour in preheated oven until pumpkin is tender.
- When serving scrap sides to get pumpkin along with the casserole.
This recipe is similar to this one but the original recipe I had added water chestnuts.
I make this every year – has become a tradition.