This soup is a family favorite… especially with homemade buns.
Chicken Wild Rice Soup
recipe by: allrecipes.com
I grew up in Minnesota where wild rice is grown…. so this is a yummy reminder of my roots and a comfort food for me.
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery (can also add chopped cooked carrots)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. (I make mine in the rice maker ahead of time)
2. Melt the butter or margarine in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and sauté for 5 to 10 minutes, or until almost tender.
3. Stir in the flour and salt and pepper to taste. Add the broth and milk and stir until soup thickens.
4. Add the rice and the chicken and allow to heat through, about 10 minutes.