Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Homemade Potato Chips

I am wanting to get back on track with healthy lunches.  I have been having the kids just make their own lunch, which is nice that I do not need to make them, but at the same time their choices are not always the best or they use things I had planned to use in my dinner meal plan.  I like to plate to have a little fruit, veggies and a fun sandwich of some sort.  I will blog about some of our sandwich choices later.  The kids like to have some kind of chip to add a little fun to their meal.  So, I was thinking how fun it would be to try to make our own chips – so they would be healthier.  (Not that I would do this all the time – but it is nice to know I can.)  I found this recipe and directions.  At the bottom is an easier microwave recipe in making these.

 Homemade Potato Chips
Recipe by Our Best Bites

Russet baking potatoes (estimate 2-3 servings from one medium-large potato)
oil for frying
seasonings of choice

Heat oil to 375 degrees. Slice potatoes (no need to peel first) using a mandoline or food processor. Place potato slices in a bowl of very cold water for about 10 minutes, stirring gently. Rinse slices a couple of times in cold water and then lay flat on a bed of paper towels. Blot with more paper towels to absorb excess water.

Working in batches, fry potatoes in oil for 1-3 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and place on paper towels to absorb excess oil. Season immediately with salt and other seasonings of choice. Serve warm or at room temperature. Best eaten same day, but if stored overnight place in a container with the lid vented to prevent sogginess.

For a microwavable recipes that does not use oil, check out this recipe with directions:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-Delicious-Healthy-Homemade-Potato-Chi/

Enjoy~

Pin It

No comments: