Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Monday, January 9, 2012

... a teacher like you.

My daughter Brittaney wrote me these words via e-mail from Fiji...

I wore my locket in the village and all the kids wanted to see (and show their friends) my mom, dad, and baby sister... one little girl was asking me about you and dad and asked me what you guys did. I told her that you taught us and later I told her that, before coming to fiji, I was a teacher. "Oh, you're a teacher like your mother." she said. I thought about it and realized how true it was... I'm a teacher like you.

I miss you mom and just wanted to thank you for all that you have imparted in me. It really has come in handy and am so thankful I have been blessed with you as a mom.


Words, that touch a mama's heart in the deep places, words that make it all worth the effort to homeschool these precious blessings, words that encourage and spur me on as I feel weary and tired. 

I have been pondering and treasuring these words...

Years back, when this daughter was little, and I was having babies every two years (I tell people we were on the two year plan), I ran into a friend I hadn't seen in awhile, a sweet friend who was an inspiration to me as a mom and a teacher.  She said to me, "God must think you are a great Mom, because He keeps giving you more children."  My reply to her was, "God keeps giving me more children because He knows I have allot to learn, and they are the best teachers."  That statement has rung true for me through all these years of parenting. 

In the dictionary the definition of teacher is:


a person who teaches or instructs, especially as a profession; instructor.

I read this definition and I ponder... this is just part of it - the mechanics of it.  So, I search the words of the greatest teacher of all... Jesus.  You can find his words in red in His love letters to us.
Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples:

"The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat. So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach, they love the place of honor at banquets and the most important seats in the synagogues; they love to be greeted in the marketplaces and to have men call them 'Rabbi.' "But you are not to be called 'Rabbi,' for you have only one Master and you are all brothers. And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven. Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ...

... The greatest among you will be your servant. For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted." Matthew 21:1-12




Jesus - who was the greatest among us came to serve, He wore the title teacher... He taught us to serve...
                to teach through example, by doing.

So, I ponder and treasure these words...  "You're a teacher, like your mother." 

... and I pray that I will be a better servant, and desire more to serve, than to be served.  I pray that I will give my life surrendered to Jesus, so many may know him.  I pray that I will humbly serve him ... as I serve my family and others. 

... and I realize, she is a teacher... right now, right where she is at, right at this very moment, time and place.  

 she is ... a teacher like me... but more important we are trying to be teachers...  just like our savior.
                                 

Jesus said... "just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."



#12 strong young men to help move furniture
#13 sons that humor me and work with me
#14 celebrating a faithful husband’s birthday
#15 a living room – rearranged and organized
#16 the privilege to teach precious hearts
#17 little hands praying over a sore mama’s neck
#18 pressing through and doing what needs to be done
#19 a clean organized school area
#20 homemade biscuits and gravy – stick to your bones food

I will walk before the LORD In the land of the living.    Psalm 116:9

Pin It

No comments: